New Year, New Website: 5 Digital Makeover Tips
Hello 2012! Are you taking on a resolution or two?
We can’t help you lose weight or stop smoking, but we can help get your website in shape.
For the New Year, try these 5 digital makeover tips.
These small (or big) steps will get your online presence looking greater than ever.
- Analyze your traffic. Who’s visiting your site? Which browsers are they using? Which pages are the most (and least) popular? What ads or websites are sending you the most viewers? Getting a professional traffic assessment or using Google Webmaster tools for your website can help you get a clear understanding of how well your online strategy is working – and how it can be improved.
For example, if you’ve recently updated a good deal of content, you might have a few broken links floating around your site. Pinpointing and fixing those is a simple way to keep viewers happy as they read or shop.
- Start a blog and newsletter. Want to show off your expertise and give your brand an affordable (and sharable) mouthpiece? Try a blog and e-newsletter. Creating fresh content for your website will help your SEO rankings, engage visitors and show your expertise. And in fact, HubSpot found that companies with blogs get 67% more online leads than similar businesses without blogs. As for newsletters, you’ll get an active reach-out to your core group of fans, who might not actively look at your site for new posts. Time to write!
- Make SEO your friend. You have great ideas. You have a wonderful business. But you’re wasting your efforts if you’re not considering SEO (search engine optimization) as you develop content. There are many things you can do to optimize your site’s performance,that an SEO expert can implement.
Maybe it’s time for an SEO campaign, which will allow a professional to help you choose which search engine keywords would be most helpful to include in your content, page titles and back-end technical info. Using the right words – in the right way – can help boost your Google presence and result in months and years of new income.
- Choose a content management system. If you’re looking for a service that’ll make it easy to add, update and rearrange content, we have a tip: Use WordPress. The platform is completely free for basic organization – and even for adding a blog. Some more complicated changes will cost you, but it’s much more affordable than starting from scratch. The content management system is simple to use, and Google seems to love it for search results.
- Redesign if it’s been more than 3 years. Technology changes, times change and your company changes. That’s life – and your website should change with it. We recommend web updates every 3 years or so, but it’s never a bad idea to reinvigorate sooner if there’s a development in your company or if major changes hit the tech world. Websites today have to take iPads, smartphones into account. With the growing use of mobile, make your website responsive. These are new times, so tell your message in a fresh way.
Whatever your plans for 2012, we’d love to talk to you about making your business its best yet. Call us for a consultation, or send us an email to see what we can do.